‣ 1 garlic clove, halved
‣ 1 1/2 c. dry white wine
‣ 1 1/2 lbs shredded Tarentaise, Reading, and/or Ashbrook (in any combination)
‣ 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
‣ 1 Tbsp kirsch (cherry liqueur) --- optional
‣ 2 Tbsp cornstarch
‣ 1/2 tsp dry mustard
‣ pinch of fresh nutmeg
‣ Fresh ground pepper
‣ 1 baguette, cut into bite-sized cubes
‣ Assorted vegetables for dipping (carrots, cauliflower, roasted brussels sprouts, etc.)
1. Rub inside of fondue pot with halved garlic clove. Discard garlic after use.
2. Pour white wine into fondue pot and heat on the stove over medium heat until simmering lightly.
3. Once wine is simmering, add shredded cheese a little at a time until melted and incorporated into wine.
4. Add kirsch, if using, and dry mustard. Stir to incorporate.
5. Combine lemon juice and cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Gradually add to cheese mixture and stir to combine. Allow fondue mixture to simmer an additional five minutes, or until smooth and at desired consistency.
6. Season with fresh nutmeg and ground pepper.
7. Transfer the fondue pot to the table and keep warm on the fondue pot warmer.
8. Serve with bread and vegetables.